Friday, November 26, 2010

LMS

As a Learning Manager I have been completing my studies through FLEX learning and have not attended a lecture at a campus, so using Blackboard has been my contact with the university.  I found Blackboard easy to follow once I got started and I was able to access everything that I needed for my studies.  I must admit that I was out of my comfort-zone when CQU changed to MOODLE but now I have my head around it and know that it is another form of Blackboard.  This form of studying has worked for me as everything is there for me to see and go back too, as we know I am a visual learner and so this works. 

I think that this would work in the upper grades as students can work at their pace and everything is at their finger tips.  I feel that with ICT becoming more impotant in the classroom this will be a useful tool for students and teachers. Using a form of LMS such as Moodle would not work in Early Childhood Education but in Secondary Education it would work especially for students in Yrs 10-12 as they can access their lessons at home and it would be a great resource for revision and when it is close to exam time. Students can work through the class load at their pace at home as well as in the class room.

I do wonder though when using this form of ICT learning what happens to students who do not have access to a computer? At school who will supply a computer to every student? We are teaching the students necessary skills but do they have access to the materials (computers) when needed?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I too had a little bit of a moment when I found CQU was changing to Moodle, but I actually find it an easier and more comrehensive system to use.

    That's great that you have been able to do your degree and keep working. I think that is the greatest part of a LMS. Everyone would be able to still attend school no matter what their circumstances were. This also ties in with your Education for all blog. There are millions of children all over the world (both primary and secondary) who can't attend school for one reason or another. The use of an LMS means students wouldn't have to physically be there every day in order to gain an education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April
    Thank you for your comments. I am thankful for CQU for offering this degree with the opportunity to study FLEX. My limit with CQU is my computer and I am feeling part of this subject more then most of my subjects as we are all in the same boat. LMS offers opportunities for study for students who live too far from campus and in other states. It is limiting that everyone needs computer access. It is something that we as teachers can look at and offer for our students especially if they are sick and unable to attend school.

    ReplyDelete